Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

shock

culture shock is such a funny thing. i've been back for a week now and for the most part the adjustment has been pretty smooth... (through tons of prayer!!)  there are several silly things/behaviors/issues i have noticed though since coming back. i guess it falls under culture shock, really i think it's just this sinus crud messing with my brains!

1. driving: which side of the road are we really supposed to be on? I never drove in africa, but rode on the 'wrong' side of the street long enough that when faced with a country or back road I legit have to ponder it for a second or two or three.... and maybe i found myself on the wrong side for a brief moment once or twice...

2. safety: it's a broad category encompassing --- can I really drink water out of the faucet? it feels so foreign.... as well as --- i find i am paranoid about my stuff being taken here in pretty safe suburbia. I triple check that car doors are locked. I hug my purse tightly in crowds sure that someone is going to come pull at it. silly... ha

3. food: in africa there were times that i would get intense cravings for all kinds of yummy american foods that one could not obtain in there.... i blame it on my lack of smell at the moment, but now that i'm here all of those foods have completely lost their appeal. i have walked into a grocery store and literally walked out empty handed because i didn't know what i wanted.


all of this will wane in time and much of it already has. what i pray doesn't diminish are the lessons I have learned and the ways I have grown in my relationship with the Lord.... here is to the fight against that status quo!

1 comment:

  1. My worse was (and still kind of it) being indecisive. I had maybe 2-3 options in Honduras for say shampoo. In the US there are hundreds! I would literally stand at target for 20 minutes and STILL not buy anything and feel like crying because I couldn't make a decision.

    I'll pray- Things WILL get easier :)

    ReplyDelete