Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

learning curve

I took spanish through part of college. I took medical language in PA school. I learned a little luganda in Uganda. No where in my training did I learn military language, nor did I think I would ever need to! My friend's husband enlisted a little over a year ago and my head spins every time I try to figure out what his rank is or where he is training next...

This week I begin my [short] stint at a clinic on a local military base. I didn't study up much before going, but I figured after watching military/government/etc shows on television I knew enough to get by. It took all of less than a minute to learn how much I didn't know. Every once in a great while during my orientation I would catch myself smiling... not because of anything awesome, but because I deciphered what an acronym they used meant! Ha. From there I was introduced to everyone... don't even try to quiz me on the whole rank business. Super important, I'm super lost! Then to top it off, I tried to figure out the appropriate use of "Sir." They use it a llllllll the time. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the formality of the south and it's use of Sir and Madam (something that is not used enough or properly in the north).... but this is a wholeeeee new level. I am pretty sure that I tacked it on some convos at the end...a few beats after I should have because I felt it was probably necessary but not natural. Awkward! Now that I have made an utter fool of myself, I have days worth of paperwork to fill out so I can be cleared to really work.. provided that they take me now that they know i'm a blonde, bumbling civilian. :)  

So friends, if you are active or retired military -- props to you! (not only for serving, but for getting in!!)

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome and will catch on in a heartbeat! Ma'am, yes Ma'am! :-)

    ReplyDelete